Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween Fever


Click to play Frightful 2008
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook



I know I am a little slow posting our Halloween, but today I finally have a little bit of time to do some updating. We had a fun Halloween this year. This year Makayla was a fairy, Kelseanja wore the witch costume my mom made for me when I was little, Austin was Buzz Lightyear (no surprise there), and Jaxton wore the mouse costume my mom made for me when I was a baby. (This costume is now a tradition in the family so far me, my brother, both sisters, and all of my kids have all worn the mouse costume. The kids were able to dress-up a few times so it was extra fun. Our ward did a trunk-or-treat, then I taught preschool on Thursday and did a Halloween Party for the kids, then of course Halloween night.

Thursday, Makayla also went on a field trip out to the Pumpkin Patch and was able to pick out her own pumpkin. Unfortunately, when she came home she was not feeling good, so I had her take a nap. When she woke-up she was running a high fever and complaining that her hip hurt her. So, Friday I made her stay home from school and she missed her class party. Makayla was acting better and I hoped she would be able to at least go trick-or-treating, but around 4:30 p.m. she started running a fever again. She was really sleepy and took a nap. I got the other kids ready around 5:30 p.m. and took them around the neighborhood trick-or-treating while Makayla was resting.
When I got back, my friend Shelly and her family were at my house and Makayla was acting just fine. Her fever was gone and she really wanted to go trick-or-treating. So, I hurried and got her all dressed-up and we went with Shelly's family to another neighborhood so that all the kids could trick-or-treat. We has so much fun and it was so warm! I definately have to say that it was the warmest Halloween I have ever had. The kids didn't even have jackets on. All of the kids got a lot of candy (which was more than they really needed).

Afterwards, we all went out to eat. About the time that we all finished our dinner, Makayla started to feel bad again so we came home and by the time I had her back on the couch bundled up in blankets she was running a high fever again. I gave her some medicine and babied her all night. Adam was home and after a nap he was able to also help watching her.
She continued a similar pattern all weekend where she would be just fine in the morning and throughout most of the day then in the afternoon she would start running a fever again.

Yesterday, we took her into the doctor and the doctor explained that sometimes two to three weeks after a child has a cold, they can get swelling in their joints, but that it could be caused by either a bactiera or a virus. If it was a bacteria infection then it could be eating her bone but a virus wouldn't and it would eventually go away. Either way the swelling is what was causing her fevers. In order to detirmine what was causing her hip to hurt the doctor ordered an x-ray of both Makayla's hips. Luckily, the x-rays showed that she had the virus form and not the bacteria form. So now we basically have to keep Tylonal in her for awhile to keep the swelling down and she can't to anything too streainous to cause her hip to swell or else she will get the high fever again. The doctor said that by this weekend Makayla should be doing a lot better. Yesterday, she didn't run a fever so I sent her to school today. It is early relese day so she should be fine.
Anyway, that is about the excitment for the weekend. Aside from my friend being bucked off her horse and then it stepping on her hand and breaking the exact same finger and bone as Austin did just a little worse than Austin's break. She is banged-up but otherwise doing okay. Yea, it was sort of a crazy weekend, but things have quieted down now.








2 comments:

Maria said...

Your kids are so cute, I just relised that you had a blog. I really like all your pictures

Unknown said...

Oh my word what a weekend. I hope Makayla keeps getting better. Scary! Anyway that is so funny our kids were the same thing for Halloween. Looks like you had a lot of fun!