Saturday, August 30, 2008

House Fire (don't worry it was't ours)

Our neighborhood experienced some drama today. Another house in our sub-division caught fire. (The first was last summer and it was hit by lightening.) Well, my friend had asked me to feed her pets while they were away, so I was right there when it all happened at around 3:45 p.m. I had just locked her front door, when I saw a guy just two houses down jump the home's back fence and start pounding on the front door screaming "Is any body home!" No answer, then he opened the front door and ran in. About that time I noticed that there was smoke coming up from the back of the house. I ran over to see if I could help and he tells me there is no one in the house and that he had already called 911 before he ran over. Apparently, the guy said the fire was coming out if the upstairs back bedroom and the bedroom door was locked. Since there was a car parked in the driveway we were glad no one was home. I ran to another neighbors house to see if they happened to have a phone number for the owners. The lady there knew someone who knew the people who lived in the house, but she couldn't get a hold of anyone. The fire department arrived just minutes later and quickly put the fire out. They still don't know the cause of the fire, but estimate that it caused $30, 000 or more in damage. I was impressed by the quick response of the fire department. Last year when the other house caught fire, it took them forever to respond which resulted the house to suffer a lot more damage. It is now all refurbished and no one would know now, but it is still scary when something like a house fire happens so close to our home. We are grateful that no one was hurt.

Anyway, aside from the fire and Jaxton catching a little cold and keeping me up two nights in a row this week everything else is going well. Jaxton is even feeling a bit better. Last night he even let me sleep more and tonight he is sleeping in his own bed. Well, it is time for me to get to bed, too. Good night...

No comments: